Monday, April 12, 2010

Granny's Lemon Squares

I am spending a lot of time this week in the kitchen as I have dishes and baked goodies promised to Hannah's school almost everyday this week. Thankfully mom is on her spring break and is here the first part of the week to help with her favorite granddaughters. I spent today baking cookies and lemon squares for Hannah's Ultimate Author Day at school on Wednesday. The cookies are good but it is my grandmother's lemon squares that take the prize.   They are amazingly easy to make and are the best thing that I have put in my mouth in recent months.  **Bekah and Rachel - I am posting this for you so that you can add this to your cookbooks if you don't have it in there already.**

All you need are these ingredients for the crust.


Mix 2 cups flour, 1/2 cup confectioners sugar, and 2 sticks melted butter together and spread this out evenly in a greased 9 x 13 baking dish.

Place it in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes...


While the crust is baking pull out these ingredients for the filling...


Take your pretty lemons...


and grate 1 tablespoon of the rind...


then cut them in half...


and squeeze out 1/3 of a cup of lemon juice.

Dump both in a bowl along with 4 eggs, 2 cups sugar and 4 tablespoons flour.  Beat this all together until combined...


Your crust should be ready to go by now so pull it out of the oven and pour this mixture on top.  Bake for 25 more minutes at 350.  Once it has cooled, slice into squares and top with some confectioner's sugar...


Very sweet and very tangy and oh so very yummy!...


Thanks Granny for sharing!!  Please say a little prayer that I survive this crazy week.  Most importantly this week my sweet Hannah turns 4.   I am really having mixed emotions about what a big girl she is becoming and just how quickly time passes!  I will be back with more on this special birthday soon!

2 comments:

  1. Those look fairly easy to make!! Yummmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you get the recipe and do you have her banana bread recipe? I've had luck with your other recipes so I'll be trying this one as well!!!
    I hope your enjoying your week with mother/nana! One day she'll spend multiple days with her other two daughters...

    Bekah

    ReplyDelete