Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Celebrating Easter

We had a wonderful Easter and I hope you all did too.  There is nothing like singing that first Alleluia at Mass on Easter Sunday if you ask me!

I love that our dogwood tree fully bloomed the week of Easter.  Dogwoods have always been one of my favorite trees partly because of what they symbolize.  In case you aren't familiar, legend has it that the cross on which Jesus was crucified was made from a dogwood tree.  After Jesus' crucifixion God decreed that the dogwood tree would never again grow large enough to be used to make a cross.  Forevermore the dogwood became a small tree with symbolic flowers that bloom around Easter.


The flower of the dogwood has four petals which resemble the shape of a cross with a notch at each tip reminding us of the marks of the nails, brown with rust and stained with red.  The center of the flower reminds us of the crown of thorns that Jesus wore upon his head.   Certainly a special tree full of meaning and beauty to mark Easter each year and we are blessed to have one in our very own yard.

We had a great Easter morning with Hannah and Lily waking up to find some treats left just for them...




Hannah's jellybean jar was a big success throughout Lent and she was excited to see the white jellybeans, representing God's grace, appear on Easter morning.


That afternoon we had family over for Easter lunch, an egg hunt and picture time.






Happy Easter week to each of you!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful story, beautiful tree, beautiful day and beautiful granddaughters. I will forward email comments when I think they have all come back. Love, Bebe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sister...I'm sorry...I'm falling behind!!! Thank you for sharing Dogwood tree story. I remember playing in ours and finding easter eggs!
    Also, I REALLY appreciate you posting the picture of Lily's sweet hands, "Where are the eggs?" I have another favorite picture as well...Miss Hannah's face as she's running towards another egg for her basket. I LOVE your new camera and the fact that you're using it often!!
    Much love--Bekah

    ReplyDelete