Friday, June 5, 2009

Summer Reading and Family Visits

One of my favorite memories of summer as a child was the library in my hometown and their summer reading program. I would visit the library each week and leave with a stack of books piled in my arms. I would stay up reading these great stories late into the night, often not able to put down my book until I had finished it. Now, I know Hannah is only 3 and Lily 6 months, but I decided to introduce them to this wonderful program early in life so Tuesday morning we headed down the street to our local library. The library was having a kick-off party for their summer reading program providing the kids with lemonade to drink and bouncy things to play on.


Hannah bumped in to her friend Anna Kate from school and they had fun sliding and playing before we headed in to the library to check out some books. Inside Hannah and Lily both got bugs to write their names on and place on the Summer Reading Wall of Fame.


Hannah then went straight to her favorite section of books...the Curious George section. We checked out several books and headed home to start our summer reading fun. I am really looking forward to our weekly trek to the library and then coming home with the girls and curling up with a good book.

The rest of our week was spent visiting with LOTS of friends and family at our house. My mom, aka Nana and my sister, Bekah, stopped in on Wednesday for a couple of days before heading to Atlanta. Wednesday happened to be mom's birthday and so we had a little party for her that evening. My cousin Lauren and her husband Chase came over for dinner and afterwards we had cake...


I am not sure what a Birlhday is but the cake was yummy!

The following night we had a special guest for dinner...Bekah's sister-in-law to be Holly. Holly lives in Birmingham and is in graduate school for occupational therapy. Have you ever seen prettier smiles?....


I made this for dessert Thursday night...


It was a blueberry crisp and I promise to post the recipe soon because it was yummy!!

All good things must come to an end and this morning it was time for Bekah and mom to leave for Atlanta. I am so very thankful for my mom and always a little sad when it is time for her to leave. She seems to leave my house way better than she found it...no laundry to be washed or dishes in the sink. My mother is such a doer and a giver and she does everything in such a quiet and selfless way. She is such a wonderful example and I hope that I can be the kind of mother to Hannah and Lily that she is to me. Thank you for all you do mom! I love you and hope you enjoyed your birthday with us as much as we did. Oh and happily, my sadness won't last too long because she and Bekah will be back Tuesday on their way home.

This morning was a little hectic but very exciting because as soon as Bekah and mom left six more family members arrived. Matt's parents drove up from Montgomery to pick up Matt's aunt and uncle, Danny and Carolyn, their daughter Christy, and granddaughter Kayia at the airport. Danny, Carolyn and Kayia are from Carlsbad, New Mexico and Christy is from Dallas. They are staying in Montgomery for a long weekend to visit Matt's parents and his Grandma Brown. Here is a picture of Lily with Danny and Carolyn...


Danny owns his own barbeque restaurant in Carlsbad and when I say it is good I am not exaggerating. His restaurant was featured as the number 6 best bbq in the country in this book. Here is a link to his website...make sure to visit if you are ever in that neck of the woods!!

This was my first time to meet Matt's cousin Christy. It is actually only the third time they have ever met. We really enjoyed our time with her and hope that we can meet her two boys, Everett and Colson, sometime soon! Here is a picture of Lily* with Christy, Carolyn, and Kayia...


***In case you are wondering where Hannah is...she was was having an "I don't want my picture taken" day***

Kayia is about the sweetest, most polite little girl I know. I hope that Hannah was taking notes on good manners and kind words while they were playing because it sure will make my job a lot easier down the road. We had a great couple of hours today eating lunch and visiting and are looking forward to seeing them all again on Sunday when we go to Montgomery.

1 comment:

  1. Sister...I'm feeling kinda special...I'm mentioned in two blog entries in a row!!!
    Moving on, I'm sooo thankful I spent some time with you, Matt and my two beautiful nieces. I love you all dearly and can't wait for you all to make a trip to Nashville ;-)

    ReplyDelete