Sunday, June 7, 2009

Recipe and Weekend Project

I purchased this several months ago for $15 on Craigslist...

It was wobbly and not very attractive but the price was right and I had a plan. I finally had a little time this weekend to start this transformation project so after Matt tightened some loose screws for me, I began by priming the entire piece white...


My assistant, Hannah, helped me paint two coats of flat white paint over the entire piece...

I added these knobs that I purchased last month on sale at Anthropologie and voila...

I have a new dresser for Hannah's room. This really is about the easiest kind of project you can do. I love the hunt of finding a bargain and transforming it into something modern and pretty. All it takes is a little patience while looking for just the right piece, some pretty knobs, and a couple of coats of paint.

Oh and here is the recipe for the blueberry crisp that I made last week. I found this recipe in this month's issue of Martha Stewart and had to try it. I was not disappointed...


For the filling...

6 cups blueberries
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp coarse salt

For the topping...

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp coarse salt
6 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup sugar

Preheat over to 375. Mix all the filling ingredients and place in a 8-inch square baking dish. ***The dish will be really full*** Make the topping: Stir together flour, oats, baking powder, and salt. Cream butter and sugar in a mixer until pale and fluffy. Stir dry ingredients into butter. Use your hands and squeeze the topping pieces into clumps. Sprinkle the topping over the filling. Bake about an hour...until bubbly in the center and brown on top. Let cool for 30 mins.

Just fyi...i think you can get away with using 5 cups of berries instead of 6. I plan on trying this next time. Also, you can make batches of the topping and freeze it to use whenever you have fruit on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment