Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Baking and Thanking

We are hosting Thanksgiving at our house this year and the preparations have begun.  Today was spent doing some baking for breakfast for our out of town guests.  I found a great recipe online for pumpkin muffins...


and one for apple quick bread with an oatmeal brown sugar topping from this month's Martha Stewart... 


I let both cool completely and then put them in the freezer.  I will just pull them out and let them thaw next week when I need them.  Hannah and I actually did a test run of the apple bread a couple of weeks ago and it is yummy.  If you do make the apple bread I can tell you that there is no need to measure the cinnamon exactly.  I know this because I turned my back for one second and a certain 3 year old poured half of the bottle of cinnamon into the mixing bowl.  We stirred it in, baked it and it came out tasting fine.  Sooooo...pour in as much cinnamon as you want it will still be good.

Also, our Thanksgiving turkey has come early this year....


Obviously it is not the eating kind of turkey but one we created to display all of the wonderful blessings in our lives.  He hangs on the wall in our dining room and each night at dinner we talk about something that we are thankful for in our lives.  That blessing is then written on a feather and placed on our turkey.  We will continue to add a blessing each day until Thanksgiving which, can you believe, is only 1 week from tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. I am SUPER excited about the apple bread and muffins! I'm thankful Martha Stewart Jr. is a part of my family!!!!

    I LOVE the Thankful Turkey idea. I'm sure Hannah's enjoying seeing the turkey gain more and more feathers.

    See you in a few days!!!

    Bekah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited about Thanksgiving!! I hope you are sending me home with some more apple butter b/c I am almost out. The turkey is cute! Was that your idea?

    Love,

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was my idea! And, I'd like some more apple butter as well. What would you like me to cook up? Some of my famous...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So i made your Pumpkin Muffins recipe tonight and they were a BIG HIT!!! Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete