Friday, November 6, 2009

Apple Butter and Holiday Cheer


My house has smelled absolutely wonderful the past two days thanks to this cooking in the kitchen.  Don't you just love recipes that cook themselves?  This apple butter recipe cooks all day in the crock pot and is super easy and yummy to boot.

All you need are about 15 of these...


Peel, core and chop them and place them in your crock pot...


Add some sugar (1 1/2 cups), light brown sugar (1 cup), cinnamon (2 Tbsp), ground cloves (1/2 tsp), nutmeg (1/2 tsp), salt (1/2 tsp)...


Cook for 8-10 hours and then, if you would like, pulse a couple of times in the blender until you reach your desired consistency.  I chose to can mine afterwards but you can skip this step if you are going to use it right away.  Easy breezy!

We also stayed up late last night to attend Homewood's downtown holiday open house.  We have done this the past several years and it is so fun.  We grab a hot chocolate, peruse the stores for holiday goodies and visit with friends we see along the way.  Here are the girls bundled up ready for the stroll..



Hannah enjoying her hot chocolate...



I think I have mentioned that you can never start the holidays too early for me.  It was so festive and certainly put me in the holiday spirit!

Alright, that is all for now.  We are busy little bees around here so it is back to work for me.  We are in the throws of getting ready for a houseful of friends and family this weekend.  Happy Friday to you all!!!

2 comments:

  1. We can't wait to try the apple butter! Thanks. We have been talking about how creative and talented you are all the way home. The party was so lovely and so fun! Just perfect. I hope everyone gets some well deserved rest now. Love to all and a Happy, Happy Birthday to Miss Lil. Love, Bebe and Granddad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed visiting with everyone at Miss Lily's b'day party. It was one year ago tomorrow that Lily made her debut and Hannah became a sweet big sister.

    I'll write my review of the apple butter this evening after I try it. I've been craving since yesterday!!!!

    Much love--B

    PS. Can Hannah PLEASE come read Leonardo the Terrible Monster to my first graders?

    ReplyDelete