Friday, February 4, 2011

Old Man Winter & Thrifty Fun

Old man winter has been showing us his might the last couple of days with some cold temperatures and icy precipitation.  Never fear though we have been keeping our toes by the fire and a warm cup of tea (for mama) or hot cocoa in hand.



We had a little reprieve from the cold last weekend with a peek at some springlike temperatures.  We, along with pretty much everyone else around, quickly made our way outside to enjoy the warm fresh air.  Hannah and Lily were excited to put on their helmets and ride their bikes without that bothersome extra layer of coats and mittens.





The warmth was short-lived but it was nice.  I am trying to do my best not to wish away the winter but days like last weekend make it really hard.

Last week while the girls were at school I stopped by a local thrift store and stocked up on some double duty warm and cold weather fun for Hannah.


I found each of these for a $1.25 on the game shelf and could not pass them up.  We spent part of last week's warm weekend outside on our sidewalk playing Clue Jr. and finding out exactly who stole the missing piece of cake.  The next day we sat in the sun on the porch putting together this map of the good ole US of A.



These games also came in handy when the cold and rain decided to reappear this week.  One very rainy afternoon Hannah and I sat in her room and I introduced her to the ever so fun game of Scrabble.  I grew up with my mom playing this game (the adult version) and I think it is so much fun.  I think it is great that they have a kid version and did I mention that I bought this game for $1.25 brand new.  Bargain!



I love a good board game (can you tell :)) and I love some good quality one on one time even more.

Ok, I have got to get back to packing and preparing.  We are going on an off road adventure tomorrow in Matt's truck and I have lots to do to get ready.  This will be the longest Lily has been in the car in quite some time so wish us luck!  Have a great weekend!!

1 comment:

  1. So fun sister!! I need to find some bargain games like that. I spent WAAAAYYY more than that at Target on a few games for my children. If you come across anymore please remember your younger sister and my 19 children.

    I'm hoping the winter storm that is scheduled to make its way up here on Wednesday somehow goes another direction. The snow was pretty the first 4 or 5 days, but days 10, 11, 12...not so much.

    I'm anxiously awaiting the post about this past weekend's adventure!! Much love to you all!!

    ReplyDelete