Sunday, January 23, 2011

Snow and Ice, Ice and Snow

The cold just won't seem to go away around here and so I thought I would post some pictures of the ice storm that passed through a couple of weekends ago.  As a survivor of the ice storm of 1994 I can tell you that I was a little fearful of what this weather might bring. In 1994 my house was without power for 10, yes TEN!, days and even though we were safe and warm with relatives I do not remember that time with much fondness. Thankfully, Matt made a last minute trip around town and found the supplies we needed just in case.

We woke up Monday morning to way less snow than predicted but also to our city shut down because of ice.  Thankfully the power lines were not frozen but the roads were and so, with no where to go, we headed outside to explore the icy wonderland.  This was the ice covered path out of our house...



It was such a strange day because it really was like everything stopped and there was nothing to do but stay home and enjoy some family time.  I liked it...I liked it a lot. 

This is our friend "Shhhhhh".  He is on a neighbor's tree and he seemed to be speaking to us all as we walked past him with no sound other than the ice crunching under our feet and the occasional squeal of someone sledding down a hill.


This was what we found when we made it to the little shops at the end of our street.


Not surprisingly, everything was closed and I imagine it stayed that way all day long. Hannah and Lily had some fun exploring and enjoyed that even the middle of the street was their playground.





When we made it home we found some friends sledding down the hill in front of their house on a boogie board.  Boogie board: good for surf and sand AND snow and ice.  Hannah, only slightly terrified, joined in on the fun.




Lily happily watched perched on Matt's hip with absolutely no desire to try sliding down a hill with the other kids.   Soon enough though we were all frozen and ready to thaw out with some hot chocolate so we headed inside.


While we were out looking around I took some photographs of the ice.  I thought it was pretty spectacular especially since this is not something we see a lot of around here.  The trees, the mailboxes, the cars were all covered in this beautiful coat of ice and here is some of what we saw...






Just looking at these pictures makes me cold.  I hope you all are having a warm and cozy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment