Monday, September 28, 2009

We are back...

For those friends and followers who do not know I have been on hiatus from the blog due to the death of my father.


It has been a really tough journey over the past couple of weeks - filled with lots of tears and, believe it or not, many smiles recollecting so many good memories. My sisters and I have been blessed with the love and support of family and friends. So many of you have made our lives so much easier with your prayers, meals, and words of support over the past couple of weeks and we are truly grateful. I know that with time things will get easier and though we have a ways to go we definitely know that there is a silver lining to all of this and I am so thankful that I know that there is a heaven above! I know others of you have asked if there is anything else you can do. There are only two things that we need...1.prayers, prayers, prayers and 2. for all of you to make sure that you are an organ donor. Daddy was suffering from kidney disease and was at the top of the list for a kidney transplant but it just did not happen in time. I know that this was God's plan for him and I am confident that he is in such a better place. My only wish would would be that all people know how much suffering and pain can be avoided just by checking that little box on your driver's license and giving someone else the greatest gift of all...the gift of life! My father was not meant to remain here on this earth but there are so many others who, like him, need a transplant of some kind so please, please, please, if you have not already, when you renew your driver's license become an organ donor!!!

A little piece of my heart is forever gone but I am sure that is normal for anyone who loses a parent. Life will slowly return to "normal" and I will be back to blogging about our everyday lives soon enough. I am so thankful for the 33 years I was allowed to spend with my father and even more so that he got to know his two precious granddaughters, if only for a short time. One of the hardest things we had to do was to gently tell Hannah about her beloved Grandpa. We took Hannah outside to tell her that Grandpa had gone to Heaven to be with Jesus. We gave her some balloons and let her write him messages on them to send up to Heaven.

Hannah loved the balloons and loved watching them float up to Grandpa with her sweet messages of love.

Watching Hannah tell others so happily and hopefully that "One day, when I get old, I am going to go to Heaven and see Grandpa" continues to remind me that we all should look forward to the day when we are once again reunited with God and our loved ones in Heaven. My sisters and I are better people for having Daddy in our lives and we are thankful for that blessing!!

4 comments:

  1. Sister...what a great way to honor daddy, reminding people to be an organ donor. I think it's unintentionally overlooked but hopefully this will be the reminder some need.

    Daddy would be proud!!!

    Much love--Sister

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am proud to have you for a daughter-in-law. I love you and your mom and your sisters and I loved your dad, even though we did not have time to become real friends. Thanks for the organ donation reminder. I have signed the card but others may not have. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sister - Thanks for this , you have done such a nice job with this post. Love you!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah - I am so sorry to hear about your father's passing. I know it is a bridge that one day we all will cross, but my heart goes out to those when they take those steps! The pictures of the balloons in the sky were touching. Sending prayers and happy thoughts your way!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete