Monday, June 28, 2010

A caterpillar, a yard sale and more!

We added to our collection of caterpillars at our house this weekend.  We found this semi-scary, mostly just interesting looking caterpillar on one of our strawberry plants... 


He seemed to be thoroughly enjoying devouring the leaves on our plant so I broke off the leaf he was munching on before he could do anymore damage and put him and the leaf in a bug finder.  Now he and Wormie are sitting next to each other in their different stages of life.  I am excited for Hannah to compare and contrast their cocoons and their features as they emerge from this process.

I think this is a great learning process for my girls and I was super excited this weekend to visit a neighbor's yard sale and find an activity that related to our adventures raising butterflies/moths.  I hit the jackpot because our neighbor happens to be a teacher and she was getting rid of some teacher "stuff".  I found these brand new life cycle figures...


and a cute book that went along with it...


When I find things like this I think it is meant to be and it was a deal too.  Hannah has enjoyed matching the different figures to the pictures in the book.  Hopefully it will reinforce what we are seeing in our bug finders.  We also found some fun walkie talkies at the yard sale...


Matt and I are in the process of teaching Hannah and Lily the proper lingo for walkie talkie ownership. You know...breaker breaker, over and out, etc :).  I love a good yard sale! It was a great weekend that also included a trip to the rodeo, but that is a post all its own. 

Today was a day filled with all that our Mondays typically include...playing, learning, cleaning and all around recovering from the weekend.  Does anyone else feel that your house stays more orderly during the week than it does on the weekend?  I don't know exactly what happens every Saturday and Sunday but I am always spending part of Monday cleaning it up. 

We did start our day with "school time" today and that included a little bible craft project that I thought was cute.  We started by talking about Psalm 23 "The Lord is my shepherd" and what exactly that meant.  I then traced Hannah and Lily's hands...


cut out what we had traced...


let them glue some cotton balls, an eye and some ribbon on the cut out and voila...


It was a quick and easy project that both Hannah and Lily could do.  I am trying to start our days out this summer with some sort of faith formation activity whether it be a little craft like this or just a simple story from a religious children's book or the Bible.  I can't think of a better way to start out the day!

We also spent some time outside melting in the heat and collecting rocks for our next rock project.  I am finding it really frustrating that the only good time to go outside lately is early morning or late evening with the mosquitos.  We didn't stay out long but at least it was a little fresh air...



I am always thankful for a good start to the week.  Hope yours was good as well.  Be back soon. 

Breaker breaker over and out.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you blog - I think I'm just going to come here when I need new arts and crafts ideas! Such cute stuff that you come up with! I also had a dream about a caterpiller the other night - I think it was your fault! :-)

    ReplyDelete