Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sunday Night Blogging

Blogging about our day this week has seemed a little silly given the sadness that has been going on with our neighbors in Haiti. I typically listen to the news via satellite radio in my kitchen while I am cooking or cleaning after the girls have gone to bed or when they are napping. This week more than once I have found myself in tears listening to the stories of death and desperation by so many who have been affected by this terrible earthquake. I have several times stopped to say a little prayer of thanks that I can stand in my warm kitchen and make a casserole or have a cup of tea. So many others are not that lucky and I can only pray that peace, health and some comfort will return to their lives soon. Some of my tears were for a poor Haitian mother who is standing vigil by the ruins of whatever building she and her four year old were inside when the earthquake occurred. The mother was able to get out but could not find her child. She is just standing there helplessly waiting for someone to help her move the heavy remains of the building to try to find her child, praying that he is still alive. I cannot imagine the pain and fear that she must feel but my heart broke for her. I don't know how her story turned out but please say a little prayer for that poor mother and her child and for all those suffering in Haiti.

It was hard not to feel guilty enjoying the past several days with my family when there was so much devastation not so far away.  I have been saying prayers of thanks more often for my blessings...



 




2 comments:

  1. I was late to work last week b/c I was in tears watching the news. I've been praying for the survivors and those who did not make it. My heart breaks for them and that poor mother.

    On a brighter note, I love the pictures. I'm glad you all were able to get out and enjoy the sunshine. We do have much to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see hair on Lily's head and I see that Hannah continues to train for the
    Tour de France. Yay!! Love, Bebe

    ReplyDelete