Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Beach

Earlier in the summer we went on our annual beach trip to Florida. The day after we arrived a tropical storm decided to make a visit as well.  We arrived Saturday evening and when we woke Sunday morning the beach looked like this.


Not exactly what you want to see on your first day at the beach and really not what you want to see when you have big plans of digging in the sand, swimming in the water and are 6 and 3 years old.



The storm's eye was about 30 miles from us, so things did not seem very promising for the next several days.  We tried to make the best of it inside by playing games, reading books and just enjoying being together. 







I have to tell you that I am actually one that loves a rainy day or two on vacation but I would just prefer it not be on our first day.  Obviously, though, I don't get to choose what day it rains, so we had some fun and tried to enjoy the weather we were given.  When it was safe and the storm slowed down a bit we ventured outside to feel the rain and the wind and to look at all of the sea shells that washed up on the beach.






Finally by late Tuesday we saw glimpses of blue sky and, oh my goodness, we were so excited.


By Wednesday we woke up to the sun shining and it truly felt like summer vacation had arrived.
















We had a lot to pack in...snorkeling, canoeing, riding the waves, flying kites, building sandcastles and I am happy to say we accomplished it all.  That is what I love about the vacation...there is nothing to do but play.

Every day there was something new to see, from the lizard who paid us a visit on our porch steps to the crane who stood in front of our beach house to the lost baby turtle my sister Bekah found (and saved).  Lily loved stopping and pointing out every single hole that she came across in the sand and all the little crab prints that surrounded each one.  Hannah was in and out of the water each day searching for little sea creatures that tried to bury themselves in the seaweed or the sand.









I love the beach and look forward each year to our next visit, but for now we are excited about our final summer adventure that will take us north to the mountains.  I am hoping some cooler temperatures are in our future.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE when you use lots of pictures in your blog! I love the bathing suit tutus as well the last picture :-) I know I'm partial but I really do have the most beautiful nieces.
    Love you all!!

    ReplyDelete